Vazhaipoo adai, banana blossom adai
Vazhaipoo adai, banana blossom adai. A tradition south indian adai made with rice, mixed dal and simple seasonings.
I do not get banana blossom/vazhaipoo often in my place. We would have to travel two hours to get a good vazhaipoo so whenever I get a chance, I would buy 2 or 3 and make lot of dishes using vazhaipoo.
My mom-in-law makes vazhaipoo vadai often and my mom makes vazhaipoo kootu often. You know what I make often I make this vazhaipoo adai often.vazhaipoo vadai also tastes very yummy just like this tasty adai.
First time when I heard about vazhaipoo adai, I wanted to try it out right away. Since then I started liking it so much but cleaning and cutting vazhaipoo only is a cumbersome process. I usually do it during friday night while watching movies with friends. Then I put it in buttermilk and cook on the next day. I like doing the cleaning part but need to allocate some time to do it slowly at my own pace. So how many of you have tried vazhaipoo adai so far?
If you would like to know how to cut and clean vazhaipoo, then please refer my post clean vazhaipoo/plantain flower/banana blossom.
The other vazhaipoo recipes that you might be interested:
Vazhaipoo kootu/banana blossom curry
How to make vazhaipoo adai or banana blossom adai:
1. Soak all the dals and rice together for 2 to 3 hours. If you want, you can soak and grind each of them separately and then add everything together. To the soaked dal and rice, add red chillies, asafetida, ginger, and salt. Add very little water and grind well to a thick batter (little thicker than the idly batter consistency).
2. In a pan, heat two teaspoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add curry leaves.
3. Add chopped onion, green chillies, and coriander leaves. Fry till onions become light brown.
4. Then, add them along with chopped banana blossom florets and grated coconut to the batter.
5. Heat the dosa pan. Take a ladle full of batter and spread it in a round shape on the dosa pan. Put 2 to 3 drops of oil on the corners of the adai. When one side of the adai is cooked, flip it over and cook on the other side.
Now, vazhaipoo adai is ready! Serve. onion chutney, coconut chutney, and kuzhambu.