Vazhaipoo adai, Banana flower adai, Banana blossom adai
Banana blossom adai, Vazhaipoo adai, Banana flower adai. A tradition south indian adai made with rice, mixed dal and simple seasonings.
Vazhaipoo has many health benefits: helps in reducing menstrual bleeding, helps nursing mothers, manages diabetes and anemia etc.
I do not get banana blossom/vazhaipoo often in my place. Unfortunately, we would have to travel two hours to get a good vazhaipoo, so whenever I get a chance, I would buy 2 or 3 vazhaipoo. In fact, the whole week, I will make lot of dishes using vazhaipoo.
Not to mention, in my family, my mom-in-law makes vazhaipoo vadai often, and my mom makes vazhaipoo kootu. Also, vazhaipoo vadai tastes very yummy just like this tasty adai. In addition,vazhaipoo kootu also tastes good with steamed rice.
You know what I make often? I make this vazhaipoo adai. First time when I heard about vazhaipoo adai, I wanted to try it out right away.
Cleaning and cutting vazhaipoo is a cumbersome process. I usually do it during friday night while watching movies with friends. Then, I put it in buttermilk and cook on the next day. I like doing the cleaning part, but need to allocate some time to do it slowly at my own pace.
So how many of you have tried vazhaipoo adai so far?
Banana flower adai, Vazhaipoo adai, Banana blossom adai recipe card:
How to make vazhaipoo adai or banana blossom adai:
1. Soak all the dals and rice together for 2 to 3 hours. To the soaked dal and rice, add red chillies, asafetida, ginger, and salt. Add very little water and grind well to a thick batter (little thicker than the idli batter consistency).
2. In a pan, heat two teaspoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add curry leaves.
3. Add chopped onion, green chillies, and coriander leaves. Fry till onions become light brown.
4. Then, add them along with chopped banana blossom florets and grated coconut to the batter.
5. Heat the dosa pan. Take a ladle full of batter and spread it in a round shape on the dosa pan. Put 2 to 3 drops of oil on the corners of the adai. When one side of the adai is cooked, flip it over and cook on the other side.
Now, vazhaipoo adai is ready! Serve with onion chutney, coconut chutney, and kuzhambu.