Vada recipe, Medhu vada, Easy vada recipe
Vada Recipe – A famous South Indian snack made with urad dal served as a snack or even at breakfast with idli or pongal.
I wanted to post the vadai recipe for a long time. This is a basic recipe of medhu vadai. During festivals, when I don’t find enough time to make other recipes, I make this vada. I love Pongal and idly vada combination so much.
This vada tastes so good for the sambar vada and curd vada recipe. You can also add onions and curry leaves etc. to make the vada more tastier. I made this vada for Vinayagar Chathurthi and was a block buster in our family. Try this vada recipe and you’ll love it.
How to make vada or medhu vada:
1. Soak urad dal for 3o minutes. Grind urad dal, coconut and green chillies to a thick paste. The batter should be light, smooth and fluffy.2. Add curd, salt, asafoetida, coconut pieces, and pepper powder. Combine well.
3. Take a plastic sheet like Ziploc and place the urad dal batter on it. Then flatten it.
4. Now make a hole in the center of the vada. Heat oil in medium-high flame for deep frying the vada. Now slowly tilt the vada upside down from the plastic sheet and drop it in the hot oil. Follow the same procedure for the remaining vadas. Wet your hands now and then before making balls to avoid stickiness.
5. Fry vadas until they turn golden brown.6. Once vadas turn golden brown on both the sides, take them out and drain them in a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Now, vada is ready!
1. My batter is watery. How do I correct it?
Add a tablespoon of all purpose flour or rice flour or gram flour to the dal batter. My first choice would always be the rice flour. If you don’t have rice flour at home, then go for other choices. If your batter is watery, it will drink lot of oil.
2. My vadas are very sticky and turns rubbery/not fluffy once cooked
If the batter is sticky, you’ll not be able to shape and make hole on them. Your dal batter might have been over grinded. Refrigerate it for an hour or so and then make them after an hour. Vadas would turn quite better now.