Turnip kurma recipe, noolkol kurma, turnip curry. A delicious and tasty kurma made with turnip and freshly ground spices.
I love this turnip kurma for so many reasons. It tastes very good, easy to make, goes well with rice as well as rotis. I never knew with turnip you could make a tasty curry. I always make subsiz but this time, I wanted to try turnip kurma. Voila, it came out very well.
I guess the same curry would go well when made with cauliflower too but I have not tried yet. Will let you know soon how it comes. Meantime, try out this yummy turnip kurma and enjoy with rotis or rice.
Turnip kurma recipe or noolkol kurma curry recipe card:
Recipe reference. ezcookbook
How to make turnip kurma recipe or noolkol kurma curry:
1. Wash and soak the channa dal in warm water for 20 minutes. In a pan heat a teaspoon of oil, add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, poppy seeds and grated coconut in an order.
2. Saute the ingredients for few minutes. Let the ginger-garlic-coconut masala cool down. Once it cools down, grind it coarsely in a mixer.
3. In a pressure cooker, heat two teaspoons of oil and then add turnip, soaked channa dal, and ground ginger-garlic-coconut masala. Saute for two minutes. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute for two more minutes.
4. Once you have cooked for two minutes, add 2 to 3 cups of water to the cooker.
5. Close the cooker, put vent, and cook for two whistles. Then switch off the flame. Meantime, in a small pan, heat a teaspoon of ghee or oil, add minced or crushed garlic, cinnamon (patta), fennel seeds (sombu) and curry leaves. Finally, add the seasoning to the turnip curry.
Now, turnip kurma is ready! Serve with chappathi and rice.