Tortilla chips recipe, how to make homemade corn tortilla chips
Our family loves burritos, and I make it once or twice a week. Usually, I’ll make tortillas at home for making burritos, sometimes it becomes dry when I keep it outside. I did not know that you could make chips out of dried tortillas.
Last week, my friend vanessa, an excellent cook, came to visit us and I told her that by mistake I kept few tortillas outside and it had dried out. Only then she told me that we could make tortilla chips with the tortillas. She gave me a list of variety of tortilla chips like lemon-flavored tortilla chips, chocolate-flavored tortilla chips, chilli-flavored tortilla chips and salt and pepper tortilla chips.
I tried simple tortilla chips recipe, and Sanvi just loved it. For next three days, sanvi wanted tortilla chips all the time. Since her intake of veggies and fruits have come down in the past three days, I told sanvi that I will make tortilla chips only next month. We have come to an agreement. Until I make another batch of tortilla chips with a different flavor next month, you can enjoy this tortilla chips recipe.
If you are looking for more chips recipes, then you might refer nendran chips/banana chips recipe.
How to make tortilla chips recipe at home:
1. Place the dried tortillas on a cutting board. Cut each tortilla into 6 triangle shaped wedges.I cut them in batches.2. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. When the oil is medium hot, gently fry the chips until it turns firm and golden brown.3. Transfer the chips to a paper towel. Once it cools down, sprinkle salt and give a quick toss.Serve hot with salsa and guacamole.
- The tortilla chips will fry better if they are little dry. If your tortillas are not dry enough, just leave them out overnight or dry them out in microwave or oven. In oven, bake them at 350F for 5 minutes. In microwave, heat them for about 10 minutes.
- To make your work easier, just stack the tortilla like how I did, and then cut them in batches.
- You can cut the tortilla as you wish. I have cut them in triangular shapes.
- Do not fry tortillas in a smoky hot oil. The tortilla chips will get burnt. If the oil is smoky hot,move the pan off the heat immediately.
- When you fry the tortillas in batches, by the time you fry the next batch of chips, the temperature of the oil will drop down. In order to maintain the temperature, when you fry the chips, keep the temperature high. When the chips turn golden brown, reduce the temperature to low. Again, when you fry the next batch of chips, increase the temperature to high. Repeat the same for all the batches.