Thiruvathirai kootu, ezhukari kootu, 7 kari kootu, thalagam, thiruvathirai kali kuzhambu
Thiruvathirai kootu(ezhukari kootu, 7 kari kootu, thalagam, thiruvathirai kali kuzhambu) is a special kootu made with seven country veggies during thiruvathirai festival.
Thiruvathirai kootu is called by many names likes 7 kari kootu (as 7 veggies are used), thalagam, pongal kootu and thiruvathirai kali kuzhambu. Usually, thiruvathirai kootu is served with thiruvathirai adai and kali. It can also be eaten with plain rice.
How to make thiruvathirai kootu or ezhukari kootu or 7 kari kootu or thalagam or thiruvathirai kali kuzhambu:
1. Pressure cook toor dal in a cup of water for three whistles. Once the pressure releases, mash the dal well and set aside.
2. In the same cooker, cook vegetables in 1/2 to 1 cup of water for 2 whistles. Set the cooker aside.3. Heat oil in a pan, and then add coriander seeds, channa dal, red chillies, and cumin seeds. Once dal turns golden brown, simmer the flame and add grated coconut. Fry for a minute and then switch off.4. Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer, and add little water. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste. Set aside.5. In medium flame, add the cooked dal, turmeric powder and salt to the cooked vegetables. If required, you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of water. Stir well.6. Then add the ground mixture and stir well. Cook for about two minutes.7. In a small pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.Now, thiruvathirai kootu is ready! Serve it with kali or cooked rice.
- You can add country vegetables like drumstick, snake gourd, cluster beans, potato, raw mango, white pumpkin, chow chow, yellow pumpkin and ridge gourd etc. Usually, 7 types of veggies are used for this kootu.
- I have used fresh field beans(mochai), but you can also use dry mochai. Make sure you soak and cook mochai before adding it to the kootu.
- After cutting plantain or brinjal, soak them in water to prevent browning.
- If you prefer the kootu to have a tinge of sweet flavor, you can add sweet potato (sakkarai kizhangu).
- The consistency of kootu should be slightly thick.