Shortbread cookies recipe
Shortbread cookies are traditional and popular cookies that taste buttery and divine. Since butter is the star ingredients, shortbread cookies have a light texture that it almost melts in your mouth. They are soft inside but little crispy outside. Shortbread cookies are more of a savory kind with tinge of light sweetness in it.
Shortbread cookies are easy to make and they require simple ingredients. They tend to be crumbly before baking and then turn little hard after baking. You can make these shortbread in rounds, squares or rectangles. For an easy preparation, shortbreads are mostly baked in rounds.
Once you knead the dough, refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. This will help to harden the butter again before baking.
You can enhance the flavors of the shortbread cookies by adding flavors like lemon, rosemary, vanilla bean seeds, fresh citrus zest, nuts and cocoa nibs etc.
How to make shortbread cookie:
1. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and using electric mixer, mix butter. Then add sugar to the butter and blend until they are just combined.2. Now add vanilla essence and blend again. Set aside.3. In another large mixing bowl, add flour and salt. Then sift together to avoid lumps.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.5. Knead the dough gently and wrap it in cylindrical form using a cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take it out from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C.6. Now, cut the cookies into small sizes. Take the cookies out gently using a spatula. Arrange the cookies on the parchment or baking paper. Sprinkle the cookies with sugar.7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the edges turn golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature.Now, shortbread cookies are ready! Store it in an airtight container.
- Chill the dough before baking at least for 30 minutes.
- Use a non stick baking pan or baking sheet to bake these cookies.
- You can freeze the cookie dough for a month before baking. Thaw for about an hour before slicing and baking.
- The baked cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- The baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- The flavor of the cookies come from butter and vanilla. So, use a good quality vanilla essence.
- Do not over mix the butter as it tends the cookies to be too light and crumbly.
- You can re-roll the dough until every last piece is used. Gather and re-roll them to get as many cookies possible.