Ramadan Nombu Kanji Recipe
During my childhood days, I would be very excited during the festival of Ramzan. My dad has many friends who celebrate Ramzan. A week before Ramzan, they would send somebody to collect tiffin carriers from our home. I still remember my mom washing all the tiffin carriers just a week before Ramzan to give them. All of my dad’s friends who celebrate Ramzan would request to given them large tiffin carriers, but how many large tiffin carriers would we be able to have at home? Such lovely friends my dad has. They ask for large tiffin carriers only for sharing their love with us through their preparation.
Any guess what comes in the large tiffin carrier?Mutton Biryani, dessert like Kuih Lapis/Steamed Layer Cake, Mutton Keema Paratha, Dalcha,Mutton Biryani, along with the Ramadan Nombu Kanji. Dad’s friends would plan with each other and each day, we would get food from a family till the Ramzan gets over.
My mom would not cook for a week or so. I remember my mom giving the extra food to our neighbors too. I miss those kind of lovely food here.
Whenever Ramzan is near, I tell Gj how I used to relish the preparation from my dad’s friends. Lovely days and unforgettable memories!
I’ve been to my friend’s house three years back to just see how they make the Ramadan Nombu Kanji. I always thought it was so difficult to make. Trust me, it is a very tasty porridge and I made the same porridge for Gj last week, and he said it is the best porridge he ever had.
Ramadan Nombu Kanji is simply an offering prepared and served with love. It is very healthy and you just keep eating it for a month, you feel strong. It has so much of goodness into it.Ramzan Nombu Kanji is a meal in itself. It is made of cooking raw rice and green gram to a mushy consistency and seasoned with spices. The porridge flavors are much like the biryani because it uses roughly the same spices as biryani. You can make this Ramadan Nombu Kanji/porridge with mutton or veggies. I have used veggies because Gj is not very fond of mutton. You don’t need an accompaniment for this kanji as it is delicious on its own, but if you wish, you can serve it with some vadai.
My friends have shared me a lot of things about Ramzan celebration and this Ramadan Nombu Kanji Recipe. During the month of blessings, Ramzan, the mosques would prepare and serve kanji/porridge to both who break their fast there and also for those who simply ask for it. The area where the kanji is made would be so aromatic. I heard from my friend that the cooking process of kanji starts in the morning itself at mosques but would be offered only in the evening to break the fast at 6:45 p.m.
I asked her when the preparation is so easy, why do they have to start making it in the morning itself? She replied that its temperature would just be right for consumption in the evening. I have seen people go in with containers to take some for their family. Mosques would send the leftovers to an orphanage.
When you fast for long and have kanji soon, it will only melt your taste buds and soothe down your starving stomach. It refreshes you and makes you keep going.
I consider it an honor to make Ramadan Nombu Kanji and present it here. So here comes the Nombu Kanji from my kitchen to yours!
How to make ramadan nombu kanji:
1. Grind the rice and moong dal coarsely and set aside.
2. In a cooker, heat oil and then add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Now add the onions, salt and chopped green chilly and saute until onions turn transparent.
3. Then add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away. Add tomatoes and carrot and saute well.
4. Then add the mint leaves and coriander leaves and saute for a minute or so. Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder.
5. Sprinkle few drops of water and saute until the raw smell of the powders go away. This will take about 2 minutes or so. Add water.6.When water comes to rolling boil, add the rice and moong mixture. Give a quick stir and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until mushy. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash it well.
7.In simmer flame, add water if the porridge is thick or else add coconut milk and stir well for 2 minutes. Then switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.Now, Ramadan Nombu Kanji is ready! Serve hot!
- If you adding chicken or mutton, wash them well and add little turmeric powder and chilli powder and set aside. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add the chicken or mutton pieces and cook as directed above. Add chicken stock or mutton stock instead of water.
- You can also add veggies of your choice.
- The porridge will thicken in time, so make sure the porridge is in drinkable consistency.