Pepper Chicken Recipe, Milagu Kozhi Varuval – A simple, spicy and easy chicken made with seasoned spices and ground pepper powder.
Pepper Chicken is a common recipe that is made in most of the households in Tamil Nadu.Pepper Chicken recipe is very simple and easy to make. Pepper Chicken is the first non-vegetarian dish that I learned during my initial days of my marriage. Whenever I had guests at home, I would make this Pepper Chicken recipe confidently as this recipe can never go wrong. It is always a hit in my chicken.
I make Pepper Chicken several times during winter as all of us would get running nose often. When writing an article Simple and Natural Home Remedies For Sore Throat, I learned that pepper provides a temporary relief to cold.
Be careful while adding chilli powder and ground pepper as the dish may turn out very spicy. I did not add cloves, bay leaves and other spices as I thought fennel/saunf and cumin seeds will itself add so much flavor.
How to make pepper chicken or milagu kozhi varuval:
1. In a pan, heat two teaspoons of oil and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds sizzle, add finely chopped onions.When onions turn transparent, add ginger garlic paste.
2. Add curry leaves, and fry well till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off. Add chopped tomatoes and fry well till tomatoes become little soft.3. Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and coriander powder, and salt. Stir well. Fry well till the raw smell of the powders go off.
4. Add chicken pieces and stir well for a minute. Sprinkle very little water (2 tablespoons) and close the lid. Cook until the chicken is cooked.
5. Meantime, grind fennel seeds and peppercorns to a coarse powder.
6. When the chicken is cooked, add the ground mixture and stir well for two minutes. Finally, add coriander leaves.
Now, Pepper Chicken is ready! Serve with Rasam, Curd rice and Rice.
- You can add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom just before tempering cumin seeds.
- It is better to add fresh ground pepper as it will gives a good flavor.