Onion sambar, vengaya sambar recipe, chinna ulli sambar recipe
Onion sambar recipe is a flavorful and aromatic sambar served with idli and dosa.
A very easy and tasty onion sambar that goes well with idly, dosa, bonda, bajji etc. It goes well with any tiffin. This is even more easier to make. You can also serve this Sambar with rice, but it goes well with tiffin. I am sure you are going to love it.
How to make onion sambar or vengaya sambar or chinna ulli sambar:
1. Soak tamarind in warm water and extract the tamarind juice. It should be about 2 cups. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan, and saute the onions until golden brown.2. Now add the tamarind juice along with salt and turmeric powder. Stir well. Add little water, and boil well until onions are cooked. Meantime, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and add red chillies, bengal gram, urad dal, and coriander seeds. Saute until they turn light brown. Make sure you don’t roast them. Let it cool down completely.
3. When it has cooled down, transfer it to a blender and grind it along with coconut to a fine paste. Add the paste to the onion-tamarind mixture. Stir well.
4. Now add the cooked dal and stir well again. Boil well and add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
5. Add asafoetida, curry leaves and coriander leaves. In a small pan, heat one teaspoon of oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Finally add the mustard seeds to the sambar.
Now, onion sambar is ready! Serve with idli, dosa, bonda, bajji etc.
- You can also grind little onion and few garlic cloves and add it to the sambar.
- You can also add vegetables like carrot, drumstick etc.
- You can also add a dash of ghee to the sambar just before serving. Ghee gives a very good flavor to the sambar.
- If you don’t have sambar onions, then you can use yellow or red onions.