Onion chutney recipe, onion tomato chutney,vengaya chutney
Though we have several chutneys, my family insists on having onion chutney at least once a week. My kids just love this chutney so much. Here in indian restaurant, we do not get tasty onion chutney. They would be very watery and less spicy, so my kids always love my onion chutney.
There are several ways to make onion chutney. Some use combinations like onion and tomatoes, onion and garlic, onion and curry leaves etc. This is my version where I have used onion, tomatoes and garlic.
My dad who is a picky eater, just loves this onion chutney. It is kind of spicy but has a savory flavor with a touch of sweetness. So, I would say this onion is a perfect balance of spiciness and sweetness.
Why wait? Try it out and let me know how it comes.
How to make onion chutney or onion tomato chutney or vengaya chutney:
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add garlic, red chillies, and onion.
2. Saute for a minute, and then add tomatoes.
3. Saute for a minute, and then add curry leaves and coriander leaves. Cook for five minutes. Let it cool down.4. Transfer it to a mixer, and grind until smooth.
Now, onion chutney is ready! Serve it with idli, dosa and tiffin varieties.
- You can refrigerate this onion chutney for two days.
- I have not tempered the chutney, but if you wish you can heat up a teaspoon of oil, and add the mustard seeds and urad dal. once urad dal turns golden brown, add it to the chutney. Give a quick stir.