Moong dal kheer recipe, pasi paruppu payasam, moong dal payasam
Moong dal kheer recipe – A traditional and tasty South Indian style payasam/kheer made with moong dal, jaggery and milk.
Paruppu payasam is one of the easiest and simplest payasam/kheer to make. I made it last week for a play date, and my guest loved it so much. Next day, they called me and said it was very tasty. I felt very happy.
When you have many recipes to make on a pooja day or when you have guest at home, then you can make this kheer for dessert. There are many versions of moong dal Kheer. This is my version where I do not use coconut milk. I have just used regular milk.
Paruppu payasam is a favorite kheer throughout India. Each state call it differently in their own respective languages like paruppu payasam, pesara paruppu payasam, Moong dal kheer etc. Hope you all like it too.
How to make moong dal kheer or pasi paruppu payasam or moong dal payasam:
1. Fry moong dal in 1/2 teaspoon of ghee until you get good aroma. Do not let it turn brown.2. Boil milk and add the fried moong dal. Stir well, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.3. Meantime, in 1/2 teaspoon of ghee, fry the raisins and cashew nuts/sliced almonds. I did not have cashew nuts, so I used sliced almonds. The raisins should plump up, and cashew nuts should turn golden brown.4.Dissolve the jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and then run through the strainer to remove impurities. You can even add the powdered jaggery directly.Once you hear three whistles, let the pressure come down and then open the cooker. The dal would have cooked well and combined well with milk.5.Now strain the jaggery and add it to the kheer. Cook for two more minutes, and add roasted raisins and cashew nuts/sliced almonds.You can add more milk or water if needed and cook for three more minutes.Now, pasi paruppu payasam/moong dal kheer is ready! Serve hot or cold.
- Instead of cooking completely with milk, you can substitute it with half the quantity of water.
- Do not overcook the dal completely and bring it to porridge consistency.
- Instead of cardamom powder, you can add edible camphor.
- You can use substitute milk by coconut milk.