Methi matar malai recipe. A tasty combination of fenugreek leaves and green peas, enriched with cream, cashew nuts and poppy seeds. Best eaten with hot rotis.
Basic white sauce. To make methi matar malai, you need to get your basic white sauce ready using cashew nuts and poppy seeds. I make many versions of white sauce and this is one of them. Once you learn to make white sauce, you can enhance your culinary skills by making several rich and creamy recipes using white sauce.The white sauce adds creaminess and richness to this gravy. Since white sauce has high calories, this traditional dish is rarely given a thought.
Methi matar malai, served with rotis or pulao make a great combination. Traditionally, methi malai mutter is served as a accompaniment to rotis.
Kids would love this sweet and delicious gravy. No doubt about it. Gone were the days of my kids whining and saying I don’t like peas. Now, they just gobble them up.
Now, let us learn to make methi matar malai.
How to make methi matar malai:
1. Wash the fenugreek leaves, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and leave aside for 10 minutes. Then squeeze out the water.
2. Heat 1/2 tbsp butter in a pan, and then add cardamom, cloves, onion, ginger and green chillies. Fry until onions turn transparent. Switch off and let it cool down.3. In a blender, add the onion mixture, cashew nuts and poppy seeds. Grind until smooth and set aside.4. Heat the remaining butter in pan, and let the cumin seeds sizzle. Now add the ground paste, and in medium flame cook until the raw smell goes away.5. Then add green peas and methi leaves. Add garam masala and salt. Stir well and cook until the peas are cooked.6. Simmer the flame and then add milk, cream, sugar and salt. Give a quick stir, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Switch off.Now, methi matar malai, is ready! Serve hot with rotis or pulao.
- Once you add milk and cream, do not cook in high flame.
- If you are using dried peas, soak overnight for 12 hrs and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. Then, make this gravy.
- If you are using fresh peas, cook them and then make this gravy.