Manathakkali vathal kuzhambu recipe
My mother-in-law makes Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu very often at home at least once a week. Gj likes it so much, so I had to learn the recipe from her. I have tried many manathakkali kuzhambu recipes and finally came out with this recipe. This recipe is a fusion of my recipe as well as my mother-in-law’s recipe.
I wanted to post this recipe for a long time in my blog and finally have succeeded in posting this recipe. Sutta appalam is the best accompaniment for this kuzhambu. I usually take it with appalam. However, I have seen my friends eating it with subsiz like carrot beans poriyal, cabbage stir-fry and carrot poriyal/carrot stir fry.
Try this manathakkali vathal kuzhambu recipe for lunch and have a happy lunch with your family.
If you are looking for similar kuzhambu recipes, then you might be interested in:
Brinjal puli kuzhambu
Pepper kuzhambu / milagu kuzhambu
Chick peas kuzhambu / konda kadalai kuzhambu
Mangottai kuzhambu / mango seed gravy
How to make manathakkali vathal kuzhambu:
1. Soak tamarind in two cups of water and extract its juice and keep aside. In a small mixing bowl, add two tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of rice flour and dissolve well. Keep it aside.
2. Heat gingelly oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. then add urad dal and toor dal followed by vendhayam. When the dals turn golden brown, add jeeragam, red chillies and curry leaves. Now add the manathakkai vathal. Give a quick stir.Add sambar powder and turmeric powder.
3. Stir well and add tamarind juice,hing and salt. Stir well.
4. When the oil separates, add the dissolved rice flour and 1/4 cup of water. Stir well.
5. The kuzhambu should thicken well. Finally, add vellam to the kuzhambu and cook for two more minutes. Switch off.
Now, manathakkali vathal kuzhambu is ready! Serve hot with rice.
- Manathakkali vathal kuzhambu requires more oil. Also, oil will help the kuzhambu to stay good even for 3 days.
- You can also add sambar onions or any veggies like brinjal, drumstick, pumpkin etc.
- Gingelly oil adds very good flavor to this kuzhambu.