Maida burfi, maida cake
Maida Burfi, Maida Cake – An easy, quick and delicious sweet made using all purpose flour, sugar and ghee.
I wanted to make an elaborate meal for Diwali this time because it is Sanvi’s First Diwali Celebration. I was planning to make few sweets, savouries, and a meal also. I thought the sweets and savories must be quite simple to make.
Immediately, the first sweet that popped up in my mind was Maida Burfi. You can make this Maida Burfi in a jiffy. You can customize this sweet however you want. You can add colors, nuts, or even make different layers using different colors. I did not have colors or coco powder at home so I made an ordinary Maida Burfi. Hope you all like it.
The other Burfi Recipes that you might be interested:
How to make maida burfi or maida cake:
1. In a mixing bowl, put maida and cardamom powder. Fry cashew nuts in Ghee and add it to the mixing bowl. In a non stick pan, heat the ghee. The ghee should be hot. Then, in low flame add the maida flour mixture little by little and stir well until the maida gets fried evenly. Keep it aside.2. In the same pan, dissolve the sugar in water and bring it to boil. Add the vanilla essence and the food color to the boiling sugar and water.3. Keep boiling the sugar and water (syrup) until a drop of syrup leaves one string between your thumb and finger. Add the fried maida and keep on stirring till the mixture gets thickened. Switch off the flame.4.Grease the plate using ghee, and spread the mixture in the plate. Level the burfi using a spoon or a zip lock. After the burfi cools down but still warm, grease the knife and cut into desired shapes. When the burfi completely cools down, invert the plate with the burfis into another plate by tapping the plate gently. Transfer the burfis into an airtight container.Now, Maida Burfi is ready!
- You can skip Ghee and make this burfi using vegetable oil.
- You can use any food color you want.
- Maida flour should get roasted evenly. Also make sure you do not over burn it and change its color.
- You can make several versions using this recipe as the base. The versions are:
1. When you add cocoa powder in step 4, it becomes Chocolate Burfi.
2. During step 3, you could divide the mixture into two parts. Add color 1 to part 1 mixture. Add color 2 to part 2 mixture. When you transfer it to a greased plate, put the color 1 mixture as the base and then put the color 2 mixture at the top. This will get you a double layered colored Burfi.
3. Add pista essence and green color to make Pista Burfi.
4. Add lemon essence and yellow color to make Lemon Burfi.