Konda kadalai kuzhambu, chick peas kuzhambu
Gj is quiet fond of kuzhambu recipes, but I don’t make it often. Last week, Gj wanted me to make some curry with konda kadalai/channa. Then I thought I’ll make konda kadalai kuzhambu. It is quiet easy to make and tastes so good with dosa/idli and rice. I made this kuzhambu and had it with rice for lunch. For dinner, I served this kuzhambu along with dosa and idli.
Konda kadalai kuzhambu does not have coconut in it, so I would certainly say that it is a healthy kuzhambu for all of us. You should all try it. Even your kids will love it and ask you for more.
How to make konda kadalai kuzhambu or chick peas kuzhambu:
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight or at least for six hours in three cups of water. After six hours, the chickpeas would double in size. Now, pressure cook chick peas using three cups of water and little salt for 5-6 whistles or until soft. Drain the chickpeas and reserve its stock.
2. Heat three teaspoons of oil in a pan. Fry onions until transparent followed by red chillies, and coriander seeds. Once coriander seeds turn light brown, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic, cinnamon, and coriander powder followed by poppy seeds.
3. Fry for about two minutes and then set aside to cool down completely. Now transfer the ingredients to a blender and, add little water.
4. Grind it to a smooth paste. In a pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute for two minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and saute for a minute. Now add the cooked chick peas and stir well.
6.Finally add the ground paste, salt and little water. In medium flame, cook for about 10 minutes or until the kuzhambu thickens.
Now, chick peas kuzhambu is ready! Serve hot with rice, idli and dosa.