Kerala avial recipe
Kerala avial recipe. A popular and delicious preparation made with mixed vegetables, curd, coconut and seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves.
Avial is a popular dish of Kerala. At the same time, avial is a preferred dish among South Indian households. Avial is made using mixed vegetables, coconut and coconut oil. It is an essential dish made during Onam Sadya.
According to wikipedia, there are three stories mentioned on how Avial was was invented. I was surprised on reading them. Let me share the stories with you.
“It is supposed to have been invented by Bhima during their exile. According to the legend, when Ballav (Bhima’s name during this time) assumed his duties as the cook in the kitchen of Virata, he did not know how to cook. One of the first things he did was to chop up many different vegetables, boil them together and top the dish with grated coconut. Bheema is said to have prepared Avial, when there were unexpected guests for King Virata and he needed to serve meals for them. There was no sufficient vegetables to cook any single recipe for side dish, so Bheema used what ever available vegetables to make a new dish, which came to know as Avial.
Another narrative version relates to the attempt made by Kauravas to kill Bhima. After poisoning Bhima, Kauravas tied Bhima and threw him to water. Kauravas also communicated that they saw Bhima drowning in water. With the completion of the days of mourning, a funeral feast was planned and preparation were underway. Unexpectedly, Bhima emerged from the water, rescued by the Nagas. With this, preparations for the feast was cancelled. However, Bhima was unhappy with this decision, and decided to mix all of the vegetables to prepare a new dish, that later became popular as Avial.
Another myth that in the kingdom of thiruvithankor in Kerala there was a great fest held by the king. Every one in the kingdom came to eat so there was a shortage of curry to be served. But in the kitchen also stocks were less so when the king visited the kitchen he found that a lot of vegetables were wasted when they were peeled . The king ordered the cook to make a curry with this along with some other ingredients so Avial was born.”
Vegetables commonly used for Avial are plantain, carrots, beans, brinjal, pumpkin, drumsticks, snakegourd, elephant yam, cucumber, capsicum etc. These days, capsicum/bell pepper, carrot and beans are added to Avial. Also, Avial dish can be made in two ways: gravy and semi-solid side dish. Sometimes, people add curd/yogurt and make it as a gravy or skip it. I have given both the methods below. Choose whichever method you prefer.
Avial can generally be eaten with Rice. On the other side, I have seen my friends eating Avial with Adai and Rotis.
My family likes Avial recipe so much. Usually, we have Avial as an accompaniment to Rice and Adai. Coconut oil enhances the flavor and aroma of Avial dish. What I like about Avial dish is it is very simple and easy to make. Also you can add any veggies you wish.
I wanted to post Avial recipe for this Onam Sadya. I hope you all like this Avial recipe. Serve Avial dish as an accompaniment to Rice.
How to make kerala avial:
1. Cut all the veggies lengthwise. Transfer the veggies to a pan and add a cup of water, turmeric powder and salt. Stir well.2. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil for ten minutes. Meantime, grind coconut with cumin seeds by adding little water.
3. Set the ground mixture aside. After ten minutes, open the lid and add the chopped mangoes and cook for three minutes. Now sim the fire, and add the coconut mixture. Stir well.
4. Heat coconut oil and let the curry leaves sizzle. Then add the curry leaves to the Avial and stir well.
Kerala Avial is ready! Serve hot with rice or adai.
Kerala Avial With Curd/Yogurt (Gravy)
Curd/yogurt – 1 cup
Follow the above four steps and switch off. Then add a cup of curd/yogurt and stir well.
Now, Kerala Avial with curd is ready!
- Adding curd/yogurt is optional because you are adding raw mango. Likewise, you can skip raw mango if you are using curd.
- Add the curry leaves along with coconut oil at the end. It enhances the flavor of Avial.
- You can increase the quantity of the coconut.
- Cut the veggies lengthwise as big chunks. If they are small, then it might turn mushy when cooked.