Kashmiri pulao recipe
If you are a regular reader of my blog, you would have known by now that I love anything with a sweet taste. Unlike other pulao recipes, kashmiri pulao has a mild sweet taste. If you are person who likes spicy food, then pair the kashmiri pulao with a spicy gravy like chana masala/punjabi chole, potato salna, and turnip kurma.
For less spicy curries, you can pair the kashmiri pulao with palak paneer, paneer butter masala, shahi paneer, dal makhani, navratan korma and vegetable korma. You can also serve it with a mixed fruits raita, but kashmiri pulao itself has a lot of fruits and dry fruits in it. You can add fruits like pomegranate, pineapple, and apple. When t comes to dry fruits, you could add sliced almonds, cashews and pistachios.
If you are planning to serve the pulao with a spicy raita, you can pair it up with coriander yoghurt raita and mint yoghurt raita. If your family loves fruits a lot and would not mind having it with a fruit raita, then you can serve kashmiri pulao with apple grapes raita and pomegranate raita.
Kashmiri pulao is very simple to make and also one of the easiest pulao you can make in no time. I just love it. Sometimes, instead of just fried cashews, I would add roasted pepper cashews. It tastes so heavenly. When you eat, the pulao would be crunchy and also have a heavenly taste.
When I was newly married and did not know cooking much, I would make this kashmiri pulao often whenever I have guests at home. I am sure you are going to love it.
How to make kashmiri pulao:
1. Soak saffron in warm milk and crush it well. After 10 minutes, the milk would have turned yellow in color. Keep the saffron milk aside.
2. Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. Meantime, heat ghee in a pan, and roast cashews, almonds and raisins. The cashews and almonds should turn gold brown in color. Also the raisins should plump up.
3. Heat ghee and oil in a pan, and then add onions and sugar. The onions will caramelize and turn crispy and golden brown.4. Now drain the rice. Again heat ghee in a pan and temper with the ingredients listed under “to temper”. Add milk and water. Bring it to boil and then add the drained rice along with saffron milk and salt. Let it boil for three minutes. Cover the pan with a lid, and keep the flame to low-medium. Cook until the rice is done. It will take about 10 to 14 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the rice well.
5. Now add the fried onions and dry fruits. Give a quick stir.
6. Finally add the fruits and stir gently.
Now, kashmiri pulao is ready! Serve kashmiri pulao with a spicy curry.
- You can add fruits like apple, pomegranate, pineapple, and grapes.
- You can also add walnuts and glazed cherries.
- Pineapple will change the flavor of the dish lightly.
- While eating if you do not want the spices to come between, take out the spices.
- Do not add the fruits while the rice is hot because the fruits will leave water. While you are about to serve the rice, add the fruits.
- You can also add roasted paneer.
- Presoak the rice in water as it will yield a soft and fluffy rice.
- Do not reheat rice after you add fruits.