Karuvepillai podi recipe, curry leaves powder recipe
In my kitchen pantry, I always have three to four kinds of podi in stock. Some of them would be paruppu podi, ellu podi, kollu podi/horsegram powder, curry leaves podi etc. Whenever I am quite lazy, I would make podi dosa using one of the podis or sometimes, I would combine two podis together and sprinkle them on dosa. It would taste great.
Usually I make lunch only after I pick Sanvi from school at noon. If I run late, then I would only fry eggs and serve it simply along with some podi rice. These are the reasons why I always have podis at home. Curry leaves powder is my mother-in-law’s favorite podi. She always urges me to add curry leaves powder in dosa once in two days.
Like so many other kids, sanvi does not like curry leaves. So, I add it to dosa or idly and give it to her. When she eats it, I would be more than satisfied that she has eaten curry leaves at least in the form of podi. Not many know that curry leaves have a lot of medicinal properties, so it is always good to consume them in some form.
I learned this podi recipe from chef. padma. It came out well. Gj cannot have any food that is spicy, so I have reduced the red chillies. If you use the quantity of red chillies mentioned in the ingredients section, then you may see a change in your color of the podi. It tastes definitely great. You will all love it.
Recipe reference. chef. padma
How to make karuvepillai podi or curry leaves powder:
1. Wash the curry leaves and pat them dry using a kitchen towel.Then in low-medium flame, dry roast the curry leaves. The curry leaves will shrink in size and turn dry. When you touch a leaf, it should crumble and be crispy. Remove them and let them cool down.2. Dry roast urad dal in low-medium flame?until its color changes to golden brown. Remove it and let it cool down. Now in the same pan, dry roast red chillies.3. The red chillies should turn dark brown in color. Then let it cool down. In a blender, add urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves powder and salt. Grind them to a fine powder.Now, curry leaves powder is ready! Store it in an airtight container. You can have the karuvepillai podi with rice along with a dash of ghee or gingelly oil. Papad is a good accompaniment for this podi.
- You can also microwave the curry leaves for three minutes to make it dry. It saves you lot of time.
- If you store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1 month, it will stay good for a month.
- Dry roast the ingredients in low-medium flame else it may get burnt.
- Make sure your blender is dry just before grinding the ingredients.
- Increase or decrease the red chillies based on your spice level.