Idli Upma Recipe, Leftover Idli Recipes
Whenever I have leftover idlis, I will make Idli Upma,Fried Idli or Idly Manchurian. Just love this Idli Upma so much.It is very easy to make and doesn’t really need to be hot while eating. It tastes so good even when it is not warm enough.
My paternal aunt makes this Idli Upma often for breakfast or tiffin. I would not need any side dish, but sometimes I will have it with Hotel Style Coconut Chutney.
Sometimes, when we travel and I have enough time to pack food for Sanvi and Shreeya, I will make this yummy and easy Idli Upma for them. They just love it.
Now let’s move on to the Idli Upma recipe.
How to make idli upma:
1. Crumble the leftover idlis (I have used idlis that was frozen) using your fingers and set aside.If there are small chunks of idli, it is fine.
2. Heat oil in a pan, and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida followed by green chillies.
3. Add chopped onions and when it turns light brown, add the turmeric powder and salt. Stir well.
4. Now add the crumbled idli and mix well. The crumbled idlis should get blended well with the masalas. Then add the coriander leaves and salt. Finally, give a quick stir.
Now, Idli Upma is ready! Serve hot or warm with Hotel Style Coconut Chutney.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add red chillies.
- You can even sprinkle Idli Milagai Podi at the end for a different flavor.
- While seasoning, you can also add bengal gram and finely chopped ginger.
- You can also used frozen idli like I did, but do not use fresh hot idlis. It will be difficult to crumble.
- If you wish, you can add vegetables like carrot, corn, peas etc.
- You can also garnish with roasted cashew nuts or peanuts.