Gurer sandesh recipe, jaggery sandesh, date palm jaggery sandesh
Gurer sandesh. A popular and simple bengali dessert made of paneer/chenna/cottage cheese and date palm jaggery/gurer.
You can make a variety of sandesh like pista sandesh, chocolate sandesh, dates sandesh, kaju sandesh and mango sandesh etc. Gurer sandesh is also a mouth watering dessert and can be made using sugar or jaggery. For gurer sandesh, usually date palm jaggery is used.
The name gurer sandesh is derived from gur=jaggery. To make gurer sandesh, we need to make fresh panner first by curdling the milk using lemon juice or vinegar or curd. Once the milk curdles, then we need to separate the whey from chenna. Then the channa is used to make sandesh.
Usually sandesh is creamy white in color, but the color of this gurer sandesh depends on the date palm jaggery and generally would be light brown in color. Date palm jaggery gives a finger-licking taste to sandesh.
Now, let’s make gurer sandesh!
Wishing you all a very happy new year 2017!
How to make gurer sandesh or jaggery sandesh or date palm jaggery sandesh:
1. Bring the milk to boil. Add lemon juice and stir well.2. The milk will start to curdle. When the chenna and whey water separates, turn off the fame. Line a vessel with muslin cloth.3. Pour the curdled milk on to the muslin cloth and let the water drain away. Wash the chenna with cold water to remove the sourness of lemon juice. Now hang the chenna along with cloth for 45 minutes to remove excess water.4. In a mixer, add chenna and date palm jagger. Blend until smooth.
5. Transfer the mixture to a non-stick pan. In low flame, cook the mixture for 5 minutes. The jaggery will melt and release moisture in the mixture.6. Slowly the moisture will begin to dry and the mixture would start coming together. Make sure the mixture does not get dried up. Switch off.7. When the mixture is lukewarm, you can knead the mixture until it is smooth enough. Pinch a potion of the mixture, make balls and flatten it. You can also shape sandesh using molds.Now, gurer sandesh is ready! Garnish sandesh with sliced nuts of your choice. I have used cashew nuts.
- While grinding jaggery, you can also grind a tablespoon of sugar.
- You can also shape sandesh using mold. You can also decorate sandesh corners with toothpick.
- Always use fresh paneer to make sandesh.
- While shaping sandesh, you can grease your hands with ghee.
- You can garnish with nuts of your choice.