Gulab jamun recipe, how to make gulab jamun
Gulab jamun recipe. Gulab jamun are delicious, special and absolutely scrumptious usually made during the time of parties and festivals.
Gulab jamun are usually light and fluffy donuts soaked in cardamom flavored syrup. Gulab jamuns are very tempting so you would have to prepare to lose all self control and enjoy this dessert. You cannot resist them at all. This combination of donuts and syrup has to be experienced to be believed. I believe and I want you to believe too.
Gulab jamuns are very adaptable. You can make it with sweet potatoes, bread, potatoes, mawa, milk powder, paneer etc. At shops, you can see them as oval shaped ones, golden brown, dark brown and even stuffed with cream. All of them taste excellent, but almost have the same taste. There are nearly infinite number of other superlative ideas to make them.
Gulab jamuns are time consuming, but each and every second of your time is worth it. The frying part takes some time. You can refrigerate it for few days. This rich and decadent gulab jamuns are perfect dessert to take along to parties. They would make a gorgeous gift too.
Now, let’s make some homemade gulab jamuns.
How to make gulab jamun:
1. If khoya is frozen, bring it to room temperature and mash it well. In a mixing bowl, add khoya, all purpose flour, and cooking soda. Mix well. Add water little by little and make a smooth dough without any cracks.2. Pinch a small portion of the dough and make a smooth ball. Make equal sized balls out of the remaining dough. The balls will grow in size, so make small sized balls. Meanwhile, let us prepare the sugar syrup.3. In a pan, add sugar, saffron strands and cardamom powder. Now add water and heat it up.4.In medium flame, let it boil for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep stirring continuously. Meanwhile, you can deep fry the jamuns.5. Once sugar syrup turns sticky and little thick, switch off. Heat oil for deep frying the jamuns. Once oil is hot, in medium low flame, add the jamuns. Do not crowd the jamuns.6. Deep fry the jamuns until golden brown. Reduce the flame to low and deep fry the jamuns to dark golden brown.7. Drain jamuns in a tissue paper, and add them immediately to the sugar syrup. Now add the rose essence. Give a gentle stir. Cover and let it aside for 2 hours so that jamuns are soaked well in the sugar syrup.Now, gulab jamuns are ready! Garnish with sliced pistachios.
- If the dough has some cracks, sprinkle little water or ghee and make a smooth dough. If the balls have cracks, then it will open up while frying.
- The sugar syrup should be warm when you add the jamuns.
- Do not knead the dough tight as the jamuns will turn hard.
- Rose essence gives a very good flavor to gulab jamuns.
- While frying, make sure the flame is low. If not, jamuns would not be cooked inside.
- Jamuns may look too dark, but when soaked in sugar syrup, it will have a beautiful red color.