Curd rice recipe, Thayir sadam recipe
Curd Rice is one of our favorite recipes. I make it very often at home. During my lazy days, even if I just make Curd Rice and potato curry, Gj would be very happy. I like Curd Rice because of its creamy texture, taste and above all it goes well with almost all the combinations.
My combinations are Curd Rice with potato curry and pickles. Gj and his friends tell me often that when he used to live in India, he used to have Curd Rice everyday at a famous restaurant. Gj expects the same taste when I make it at home. He would always prefer the same taste. I can add fruits and nuts but the taste should remain the same. Curd Rice is also the best food to pack during your travel trips also. Who would not like Curd Rice?
I still remember when I got married, my mother-in-law, unknowing that I don’t know anything about cooking, told me that Gj loves Curd Rice so requested me that I make it very often at home. When I asked her the recipe for Curd Rice, she gave a good stare at me. Then she asked me, don’t you know to make Curd Rice? I nodded my head out of fear and uneasiness. I can never forget that incident.
During my early cooking days, I used to buy ready-made curd and mix it with rice. I thought that’s how curd rice is made. Once when my friend came to visit me, I had some leftover rice at home.My friend proposed me an idea of making yummy Curd Rice. I learned how to make a typical yummy Curd Rice at home. Thanks to my dear friend for teaching the correct way to make curd rice.
Another healthy Curd Rice you may want to try:
Oats Curd Rice
Curd Rice goes well with the following accompaniments:
Kovakkai Fry/Tindora Fry
Vendakkai Poriyal/Ladies Finger Stir Fry
Avarakkai Verkadalai Poriyal
Brinjal Pepper Masala
Brinjal Rajma Masala
Chettinadu Cauliflower Fry
Kovakkai Urulai Poriyal
How to make curd rice or thayir sadam:
1.Wash the rice and cook the rice in an open vessel by adding 3.5 cups of water. Then spread the rice in a large plate and cool it down. You can also pressure cook the rice with two cups of water for four whistles in medium flame.
2. Let the rice cool down a little and then mash it nicely. Now add butter and hot milk. Mix well and cool it down.If you wish, you could add more water.
3. Meantime chop the mango, cucumber, carrot, and ginger finely.Add the thick curd and mix well.
4.Now add the chopped mango and cucumber pieces, grated carrot, pomegranate seeds, curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves, and salt. Heat oil in a pan and temper the ingredients listed under “To Season”.Then add the seasoning to the curd rice mixture.
Now, the Curd Rice is ready!
- Adding carrot, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, and mango are optional.
- Adding cashew nuts is also optional.
- Adding ghee is also optional. Ghee gives a creamy texture.
- If you wish, you could add the fruits and nuts like cashew nuts, almonds, apple, pomegranate, and grapes.
- Do not replace hot milk by cold milk.
- Cool down the rice completely and then add the thick curd. If not, the live culture in the curd would be killed.
- The curd rice should be loose in consistency so add more milk or water.
- As time goes by, the curd rice will start to thicken so add more milk or water.