Coconut rice recipe, Thengai sadam recipe
Coconut rice is a simple and easy recipe that you can make in just ten minutes. Right from my childhood days, I am a great fan of this coconut rice.
In my school days, if coconut rice was sent for lunch, I would eat it so happily and would be extremely happy for the rest of the day. I like to eat coconut rice with plantain fry, seppankizhangu fry etc. Any spicy curry would go well with coconut rice.
Coconut rice is a good lunch box recipe and kids would also just love its flavor.
Generally, I would use coconut oil, but you can add any oil to make this rice. Likewise, sometimes I would even add peanuts or almonds instead of cashew nuts. I would recommend using fresh curry leaves and grated coconut, if not you will definitely miss the yummy and aromatic flavor of the coconut rice.
If you have not made coconut rice before, try it out and you will love it.
How to make coconut rice or thengai sadam:
1. Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal, cumin seeds, green chillies, asafoetida, and curry leaves. Now simmer the flame and add the grated coconut.
2. Saute the grated coconut for two to three minutes until the moisture leaves and nice aroma comes. Switch off and then add the cooked and cooled rice.
3. Mix well such that the rice and grated coconut combines well. Then, heat a teaspoon of ghee and roast the cashews until golden brown. Switch off.
4. Add the roasted cashew nuts to the rice and give a quick stir.
Now, coconut rice is ready! Serve warm with a spicy curry.
- Cook the rice and let it cool down completely before adding it to the grated coconut.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add red chillies.
- You can add any oil you want, but coconut oil adds a very good flavor.
- Instead of cashew nuts, you can add roasted peanuts or sliced almonds.
- Always use fresh curry leaves and freshly grated coconut.