Chow chow kootu recipe, chayote kootu recipe
I buy chow chow occasionally. I am not a big fan of this veggie, but I like to make chow chow kootu and chow chow curry with peanuts.
I have made this chow chow kootu recipe several times. I thought I had already posted the chow chow kootu recipe, but when I checked two days ago, I was surprised to see that I have not posted my favorite chow chow recipes. Sometimes, I will have chow chow kootu as a side for rotis too. Chow chow lovers, try this kootu and have a good lunch!
How to make chow chow kootu or chayote kootu:
1. Add chopped chow chow, moong dal, turmeric powder, sambar powder, and salt to the cooker. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and give a quick stir so that the powders are dissolved well. Make sure the dal is well immersed in the water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. While the dal is cooking, grind the coconut, rice flour and cumin seeds with little water to a paste.
3. Once the pressure releases, add the ground paste. Simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. In a small pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal followed by curry leaves. Once the urad dal turns golden brown, add it to the kootu.
Now, chow chow kootu is ready! Serve hot with rice.
- Instead of moong dal, you can use channa dal.
- You can also use coconut oil for extra flavor.
- You can also fry shallots/small onions and add it to the kootu.
- Instead of sambar powder, you can add green chillies.
- The curry will thicken with time so switch it off accordingly.