Chocoflan recipe, how to make chocoflan
Chocoflan recipe. A creamy, moist and delicious layered chocolate cake and flan dessert that is relatively easy and simple to make.
Chocoflan is a classic mexican dessert and is ridiculously easy to make.
Chocoflan has three layers of delicious, creamy and rich decadent layers of excitement: caramel sauce, creamy flan and rich and fluffy chocolate cake. The caramel coating acts as the icing. Chocolate and flan layers will swap places when the chocolate cake puffs up and floats over the still liquid flan during cooking. Since the flan is so delicate, we will cook this cake in a hot water bath in the oven.
Chocoflan is also called impossible cake and is one of my all time favorite desserts. Chocoflan is so creamy and bursts with mild aromatic flavors. When you eat it, you will experience the different textures and flavors of both the flan and cake.
Not to mention, you make chocoflan for a party and you will see how they are gone almost immediately.
Now, let’s see how to make chocolate flan.
If you are looking for creamy and moist cake just like chocoflan, then you might like:
Flourless chocolate cake
Recipe reference. here
For chocolate cake (I used readymade chocolate cake mix)
If using chocolate mix, following the directions listed in the box.
If you are making homemade chocolate cake batter, follow the directions below in step 2. (Chocolate cake batter reference here.)
How to make chocoflan:
To make caramel sauce
1. Bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until it thickens. Switch off and then add vanilla essence. Give a quick stir. Caramel sauce is ready!
To make chocolate cake batter
2. In a bowl,cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition.
To make flan
3. Now, chocolate cake batter is ready! Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F. Now, let’s make flan. In a blender, add all the ingredients listed under flan.
4.Blend on high speed until smooth. Now, grease the baking pan (that holds 12 cups) with butter.
To make chocoflan
5. Add 1/4 cup of caramel sauce in the bottom of pan. Refrigerate the remaining caramel sauce for serving. Pour the chocolate batter over caramel sauce in pan.
6. Now pour flan mixture over the batter.Flan mixture will mix with batter, but they will separate during baking, forming 1 layer of cake and 1 layer of flan. Now, place a large pan that has about 1 inch of hot water. Then place the cake pans on top of the hot water. (I baked three cake pans of chocoflans).Bake about 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water bath to cooling rack. Cool completely for about 1 hr.7.Place serving plate upside down on cake pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan.Now, chocoflan is ready!Cut chocoflan into slices and serve with reserved caramel topping. Refrigerate until serving.
- You can bake chocoflan 24 hours in advance and refrigerate until serving.
- Serve the chocoflan with whipped cream, if desired.