Bread Upma, How to make Bread Upma
Bread Upma is a simple and tasty South IndianUpma that can be made in a jiffy.
You can make a variety of dishes using bread. If I have to finish off the bread in the pantry, then I make this Bread Upma recipe for dinner. My family likes this recipe a lot. What I like the most about Bread Upma recipe is we could add veggies in it and make it in our own way. You can add cashews or almonds, capsicum, peas etc.
Bread Upma is a very handy dish where you really do not need a side dish for it.
If you are looking for bread recipes with vegetables in it, then you might want to try the following recipes:
Iyengar Bakery’s Bread Sandwich
How to make Bread Upma:
1. Cut bread into small pieces. In a pan, heat oil or ghee. When it becomes hot, add mustard. When mustard pops up, add bengal gram followed by urad dal. Fry until the dals turn golden brown.
2. Now add cashews, onion, green chilly, ginger, and curry leaves and saute till onion becomes transparent.
3. Now add capsicum and tomatoes. Add turmeric powder,Chili Powder,Garam Masala Powder, salt and fry for few minutes.Sprinkle water (to keep the bread moist otherwise bread upma will be very dry and hard to swallow)
4. Add bread pieces to the masala.Mix well. Under low flame, coo for 3-4 minutes and stir in between. Sprinkle lemon juice and coriander leaves or spring onions.Now, Bread Upma is ready! Serve hot with lime wedges.
- You can cut the crust (brown part) of the bread and use the crust for making bread crumbs or discard it.
- I have cut bread slices into small squares. Alternatively, you can add crumbled bread slices.
- You can also add 2 teaspoons of fried peanuts in step 2.
- You can add finely cut boiled carrot and beans. Make sure the veggies does not lose its crunchiness in step 3.
- You can also add cubed and par boiled potatoes in step 3.