Aval kesari recipe, poha kesari recipe
Aval kesari recipe – A simple and mouth watering kesari made with Aval/Poha.
Kesari made with aval/poha? Sounds interesting right? I made this kesari for Shreeya’s First Birthday, so it is a special recipe to me. For Sanvi’s First Birthday, I made paal payasam/milk kheer. When you make any dishes for your kids’ first birthday, they become special recipes that you cannot easily forget. Though my mom and I made lot of dishes to celebrate Shreeya’s First Birthday among our family, aval kesari turned out very well. I fed little for the birthday baby and she loved it. I had to make this sweet in a hurry, as I did not find time at all. Sanvi was keeping me busy all the time. We did pooja in the morning followed by special lunch and then we had a party, outing and finally went to Chuck-e-Cheese. Thats how we celebrated Shreeya’s First birthday.
I have posted many kesari and halwa recipes in my blog like instant atta halwa, badam halwa, fruit kesari, and pineapple halwa. I made Aval Kesari in just 10 minutes. It was damn easy to make and very simple too. It tastes very similar to the normal rava kesari.
This post is supposed to be meant for Krishna Jayanthi, but wanted to post it now. I did not want to wait until Krishna Jayanthi. Since I was in a hurry, I managed to take pictures as much as I could. Hope you all like the recipe.
How to make aval kesari or poha kesari:
1. Soak saffron strands in a tablespoon of warm milk and set it aside for 10 minutes. The saffron strands would expand releasing flavor and color.
2. In a blender/mixer, grind aval or poha coarsely.Transfer the ground aval to a plate.
3. In a non-stick pan, add 1/2 tablespoon of ghee and fry the coarsely ground aval/poha until it turns light brown and nice aroma comes. It will take 2 to 3 minutes. Keep it aside.
4. Boil water and then add the roasted aval.
5. Cook until the aval becomes soft and has absorbed water completely. Now add the sugar and food color (mix the food color in a tablespoon of water to ensure even spreading).
6. Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of ghee and stir well to avoid lumps. Meantime, fry the raisins and cashews in 1/2 tablespoon of ghee. The raisins should plump up and cashew nuts should turn golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, the aval mixture will come as a whole mass and the ghee will start leaving the sides of the pan. Add the saffron milk and roasted cashew nuts and raisins to the aval kesari and give a quick stir. Switch off the stove.
Now, Aval kesari is ready!
- Instead of Saffron strands, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- Aval Kesari will thicken as time goes by.
- Aval Kesari gets done quickly, so please do not move around while making this kesari.
- Ghee gives a good flavor to the kesari.