Appalam Kuzhambu Recipe, Papad Kuzhambu
Appalam Kuzhambu Recipe, Papad Kuzhambu. A simple and easy South Indian kuzhambu prepared with fried papad or appalam in tamarind gravy.
Appalam Kuzhambu is a very simple and easy recipe that you could make in a jiffy. You don’t need any vegetables for this kuzhambu. If you have appalam/pappad at home, then you can make this kuzhambu in no time. Only after my wedding, I tasted this appalam kuzhambu for the first time. I fell in love with it. Since then, I make it once in a while. Hope you all like this Appalam Kuzhambu.
How to make appalam kuzhambu or papad kuzhambu:
1. Soak tamarind in water for 30 minutes and extract 2 cups of water. Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal and channa dal. When the dals turn golden brown, add hing and curry leaves. Add turmeric powder and sambar powder followed by tamarind water. Stir well.
2. Reduce the flame and cook until the gravy thickens. Once the gravy thickens, add a cup of water and cook for 5 more minutes. Add salt and stir well.
3. Switch off the flame. Add the fried pappad or appalam and give a quick stiir. Switch off.
Now, Appalam Kuzhambu is ready! Serve hot with Rice and Poriyal.
- You can add vegetables like brinjal, small onions, drumstick etc.
- Just before adding pappad, you can also add a teaspoon of jaggery.
- If you feel the kuzhambu is little watery, add a teaspoon of rice flour mixed with a tablespoon of water.